Volume 5 - Killer-cell Immunoglobulin-like Receptor (KIR) Genotyping
• Explain the role of killer cell immunoglobulin-like receptors in detecting the loss of HLA class I on the cell surface
• Utilize KIR nomenclature
• List the KIR genes and the ligands of the key inhibitory KIR proteins
• Be able to predict KIR haplotypes
• Discuss why KIR genotyping may be useful in a clinical setting
• Be familiar with methodologies for detecting the presence or absence of KIR genes and defining KIR alleles
• Understand and identify the ASHI standards that pertain to various KIR genotyping assays, and the quality control measures that must be incorporated into the test system.